Tuesday 18 October 2016

Flu Vaccine

Firstly, welcome to Wendy Steinley and Julia Douglas via here.

I was last innoculated again any type of flu when I worked in a school some 10 years or so ago. Having had flu once, I hope to never get it again. Whilst the vaccine is not 100% effective, it is better than catching the flu, believe me.

Every year, the vaccine contains different strains of flu that the WHO (World Health Organisation) has decided, is most prevalent for that year.

The 2016/2017 vaccine, for the northern hemisphere, contains protections against these strains of flu:

An A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
An A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus;
A B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus:

As I am not currently entitled to a free vaccine, I went into one of the larger supermarkets that have a pharmacy in them and asked for one. I had to fill out a form, they then took me into a private room where I was asked allergy questions, then I had the shot.

Never having had one of these mini already filled syringes, I didn't know what to expect. DID NOT FEEL ANYTHING!

So for those of who who don't like needles, don't be worried:)

We paid £7 for it and other than a slight ache in my hips, I feel fine, no other side effects whatsoever.


6 comments:

  1. I'm not for or against the flu jab - I've only had "proper " flu once and it was truly horrible and took me ages to get over it. I'm entitled to a free flu jab as I'm diabetic but I don't always take the offer up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite know how to put this without sounding too personal, but why do your hips ache? I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago, and my arm was swollen and painful for a week, but my hips were fine. Am I missing something here, or did my nurse have a bad aim? Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Numerous side effects on the list. We are all different. Ache in hip was only the next day. Injection site okay unless pressed hard!

      Delete
  3. It is more important to get one if you are compromised in any way. Get a pneumonia and a shingles shot also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are not eligible for shingles vaccine on the NHS, it can be paid for and costs between £100 and £200. The pneumonia jab costs £70 although doctors are still debating if it is fully effective.

      Delete
  4. Guess I need to get mine soon. I keep putting it off, but definitely don't want to get the flu. Had it 4 years ago and took me a month to get over it! (Wouldn't you know it, I'd had a flu shot that year too! Guess it was an off year.)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.