Thursday 5 May 2016

Is this a hybrid?

Welcome to Victoria Baggott via Bloglovin.

I have finally managed to keep a couple of cowslips going in the garden. I have no idea why I find it so difficult. They live under an apple tree so have good sunlight when in flower and light shade afterwards. Last year, I left the seed pods on and got quite a few babies and this year, they are in flower.

Herewith one of the parents:
A normal cowslip just like most of its babies, except this one:
Multi headed like a cowslip but with flowers like a mini primrose - ah, ain't it sweet.

In my mini greenhouse, the baby tomatoes and peppers, are now out day and night although for the past few nights, they have been in fleece. However, with nights now due to be around the 9C minimum, I think I shall be able to remove the fleece and shut them in at night:



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is isn't it, hope it comes back.

      Delete
  2. I grew cowslips from seed and then started to get cowslip formed ones but in a deep red like a primula I also had. They are the same family and I guess some insect cross pollinated them. Presumably the primulas were bred from the cowslip...not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any primroses but maybe a neighbour has some I can't see.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.