Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Barmouth and wedding rings!

This was the view out of the front of our holiday cottage just on the outskirts of Dolgellau:
There was a similar but closer mountain view out the back. No photograph as it was predominantly in cloud. Good job we took the photograph on the Monday morning as that was the best day view wise!

After breakfast, we headed to the Corris Craft Centre to see if the Agau jewellery artist was there. He makes all his own jewellery but seems to specialise in rings. DS and FDiL had visited on their last holiday and although he doesn't use Welsh gold, is a Welsh craftsman, which interested FDiL.

He wasn't there but we had a look around anyway and called back on Wednesday to see him. They were ages but found the style of rings they wanted and they should be with them in a couple of weeks. Usual stuff but one or two interesting shops including a wood person selling all kinds of furniture and other useful domestic goodies. There was also a nice deli where we bought some local food, plus a cup of coffee and a cake from the cafe. You can read more about it here

After that we headed off to Barmouth to partake of the beautiful weather, views, sea and sandy beach. Eventually we found the area for those with dogs and off we went. It was Master L's first trip to the beach and he enjoyed himself. He is so big that we forget he is only 8 months old and still a puppy. He enjoyed swimming with his sisters but not so them at times. He kept trying to jump on them, like puppies do which almost pushed them under. As can be seen in the photograph below, they quickly learnt to move away!:
It was just glorious and we had a long walk, FDiL had a paddle and all in all, we had a great time:

Here are some views from the beach:

We headed back to the front to find somewhere to eat and had a nice meal sitting out the front of a Davy Jones Locker. Another walk and we came back to the front and sat outside the Knickerbocker Ice Cream Parlour to enjoy some much needed coolness.

It was coming off the beach that I obtained my first couple of injuries of the holidays. The sea path was so full of sand, it was difficult to see where the edge was. The wall was only a couple of feet high so I decided to walk along that for safety! Shouldn't have bothered.

Just as I was in mid jump, DS shouted "mind the child". Adjusting yourself mid jump is never a good idea even though I couldn't see a child, I didn't want to land on one. Turned out she was about 30' away!

Anyhow, like you do, I curtailed my jump crashing knee and shin first into the edge of the wall. That hurt but the worst was trying to stop myself landing face first. Hands shot out and my left palm and wrist took my full weight. I knew I hadn't broken it but boy, did it hurt. Within 10 minutes my thumb stopped working properly and just to be sure, I held my hand and arm, still and upwards. Trying to eat ice cream with your fore and middle finger is not very easy. Anyway, come night time my whole arm and shoulder, plus knee and shin hurt but all were still relatively mobile.

A sleepless night followed (mainly due to the uncomfortable bed), but the next day, all seemed well so we decided to tackled the mountain near us, Cadair Idris...

Monday, 29 September 2014

Another prepared meal

So much for automatic scheduled publishing of posts! This one, and the last, should have published last week whilst we were away!! Anyhow, it will take me quite a few days to catch up on all your blog's so please bear with me:)

Welcome to Kaai, Patricia Gibbons and Janice Foehring via Bloglovin!

Something else we prepared for our holidays was Farmers Sausage-meat Hotpot. You can make this for a normal meal in a lasagne dish, you will need 6 - 8 thick sausages for that.

Lightly grease the trays dish. Using 1 or 2 sausages per person, in this case per tray, remove their skin, feel for any 'unwanted' lumps and press into the bottom of the tray:
Then a layer of sliced tomatoes, plus salt and pepper:
Top with a layer of sliced mushrooms, if you like them plus salt and pepper:
Next should be a layer of chopped, cooked bacon but I didn't have any.
After the bacon, add a layer of apple, cooking or eating:

A layer of grated cheese:
Finally a layer of mashed potatoes:
Pop on the lids, name and freeze. When wanting to eat, thaw out overnight then cook in a hot oven, say 200C, for 25 - 30 minutes or until bubbling and top is starting to brown. Same applies if using a lasagne dish.

Laying the dish in this exact way, helps the juices of one run into the other and intensifies the flavour. We normally eat it on its own with some brown sauce.

Sunday, 28 September 2014

Preparing and freezing

Welcome to Cathering Thompson via Bloglovin and Simple Living via here!

When we go away for a few days, we like to take meals with us in some form or the other. We are not keen on eating out every night, mainly due to the financial side of things but also it seems to upset our digestion.

Here are two meals ready for the freezer:

The top one contains oven roasted vegetables, the bottom, cauliflower and broccoli. The bottom picture is after home made cheese sauce has been added. They are sitting in a tray of cold water to cool them down as quickly as possible. Once cool, they will have extra cheese grated on their tops, lids put on and frozen.

Another quick freezer tip for you. If like us, you have difficulty using up flavoured creamed cheese, decant it into freezer trays then when frozen, pop out and store in a tub in your freezer. Each cube is around 2 flat teaspoons or one heaped one:

We tend to only use this cheese for risotto when we take out 2 cubes at the start of cooking. By the time the risotto is nearly ready, the cube is thawed enough to stir in.